paralyzed shih tzu

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
jazzybaby

Re: paralyzed shih tzu

Post by jazzybaby »

It sounds like your doing a great job with her. I would not worry unless the color or there is an odor. Through all of this I feel like the expressing part is the hardest and the most stressful for me. I don't want to push to hard or leave her go for to long without expressing her and then I don't want to do it to much. Keep me posted.
smithpk85

Post by smithpk85 »

I believe the Prednisone contributes to the leaking. My Maggie leaked a lot. After we weaned her off of the Prednisone, the leaking stopped. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if she gained more bladder control. Anyhow, it got better when she stopped the Prednisone. I don't have to express her at all anymore. She empties her bladder on her own when she is in her cart. I think the cart helps because it puts a little pressure on her tummy when she is in it and it helps her empty completely. The only time she wets on herself is when company comes over. She gets excited and leaks a little! :lol:

Pam
carmenlovesbabee

Post by carmenlovesbabee »

Thank you, that makes me feel better. We'll have to wait til she's done w/the Pred. and see. Thanks for giving me your experience.

sincerely,

carmen
carmenlovesbabee

I finally, finally, got it I think :? (expressing Babee) I thought I would post for those having the same problem. First off, I was so afraid of having another uti that I was doing it way too often. I tended to pattern how I took her out prior to her injury. Every 3 hrs. or so. Way too much for Babee, I'm finding. I now express her anywhere from 5 to 6 a.m., depending on when my butt decides to get out of bed. Usually I open my eyes and want to just lay there for a little, but my thought goes directly towards her and I jump out of bed. I so miss her sleeping w/me. I think thats one of the hardest parts. Then around lunch time 11 to 12 (depending on how much she had to drink that day). Then again around 4 to 5, and lastly 8 to 9, before bed time. I also found that I have more success if I move her bowels prior to expressing her bladder. That made the biggest difference. Babee has a bowel movement 3 times a day. usually the morning, the lunch, and the bed time express. So I just want to thank ALL of you for your patience,time, and advice, as I know I was constantly bugging everyone because I knew I just wasn't getting it. I kept posting hoping it would happen. I also found that I wasn't applying the right amount of pressure, because like others, I was afraid of hurting her. I had to keep telling myself that If I didn't get all the urine out that would be far worst. I find that its not too hard of course, but I think as Diane had said, it was firm though. So thank you very, very, much!! It is the one thing lately that has made me feel so good. Now not only do we have dry diapers every morning, but through out the day too! I wear them "just in case", but find that they are always dry. I needed this good feeling, because lately I found I was getting my hopes up thinking babee was recovering, and maybe had a chance to walk, but we are finding they are just reflex movements and not sure of her DPS. until we visit the vet in July. So like I said I needed this expressing to work....I could never have done this without you guys and never say thank you enough, to all of you....

in debt to you all,

Carmen
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Hi Carmen,

That's great that she has dry diapers! Looks like you have a system that works for you.

I also express bowels before urine. Schnitzel needs to have his bowels expressed 4 times per day to avoid an accident.

My system: Express bowels, bladder, than offer a drink of water.

You may want to keep her near you in a crib or baby playpen at night. Your choice. I use a crib. Schnitzel can no longer sleep in our bed, he's HOT, and actually likes his playpen. Got one at the Salvation Army. There is a Salvation Army thrift shop west of Harrisburg. You might find one there. Prices are now about $39, but I got one much cheaper a few years ago. A playpen (not mesh) would be cheaper.

Dianne
carmenlovesbabee

Hi Diane,

She is in a playpen now. I guess I can put it in the bedroom. Last time I put her in the room, she woke me up at 4 a.m. She wanted up and I think it was hard for to know she wasn't in my bed. I won't put her in the bed for fear she would try and jump down, but I miss her terribly at night. My husband works nightshift and Babee and I loved having the bed all to ourselves. Now I'm alone. Oh well, what are you going to do. Do you think the salvation army has strollers? I thoght after her 8 wks are up we could go for a walk. I thought it would be nice to keep her in, as I go for long walks in the summertime?
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Yes, I've seen strollers at de' Army (Salvation Army).

If your system of having her sleep in the playpen in another room works, then don't change it. You need sleep too. You've got to stay rested.

Dianne
carmenlovesbabee

Was wondering if anyone knows about Adequan shots (?sp). I going to the vets this month and thought I would ask. Also Babee's 8 wks. is July 22nd, Any suggestions on what to do then? There has been no real change. No bladder control yet either. Thanks in advance...Carmen
smithpk85

Post by smithpk85 »

My Maggie is taking Adequan shots. The Adequan shots helps lubricate their joints. The vet gave her two shots the first week - then one shot every two weeks - and she now gets one shot per month. I believe it is a good thing to do.

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

My dog's physical therapist said you have to give it at least 3 months to see if bladder control will return, and 6 months to be sure, but there have been exceptions even to that. renea09's dog began to get bladder control back after 10 months. :D

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... 20&p=64313
carmenlovesbabee

Thanks ladies, Babee and I appreciate all the responses. Here's to hope!! Carmen
carmenlovesbabee

wanted to give an update..Today I am pricing a local acupuncture vet I found right here in Hummelstown PA. She was out yesterday but is suppose to call me today to discuss a possible visit and pricing to see if I can even afford it. I was wondering what you guys thought of me looking into this since tomorrow will be week 6 of babee's crate rest. I wasn't sure if its too late. Also is it a good thing that Babee's reflex's are becoming stronger. I know that they will not make her walk, but they are getting so strong. For the first couple of weeks, she had no reflex what so ever, that we saw. Now when you even touch the bottom of her foot they curl and hard. Also her tail, while its not a wag is moving more from the reflex. Sometimes when she moves it goes straight up and slowly lowers itself in increments. Awhile back the vet and I thought she had a wag but it wasn't. I now figured it was from the vet holding the rear of her legs the way she did. When you touch the certain neve in the back leg her tail goes up. Her tail also curls to the one side (right) more often. Is that a bad thing? I tried to let her smell an old urine stain on one of the pee pads before expressing and her to check for bladder control and her tail goes up and she starts to urinate but again I don't think its her as much as it is me holding her belly to keep the weight off of her. Any ideas on where to better hold her would be greatly appreciated. So no real changes but we are still trying to be hopeful. So anything you may be able to pass on to me I would appreciate it...Thanks so much...... Carmen
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

carmenlovesbabee wrote:wanted to give an update..Today I am pricing a local acupuncture vet I found right here in Hummelstown PA. She was out yesterday but is suppose to call me today to discuss a possible visit and pricing to see if I can even afford it. I was wondering what you guys thought of me looking into this since tomorrow will be week 6 of babee's crate rest. I wasn't sure if its too late.

I don't think it's too late, not as far as I know. I've never heard that this is something you have to do right away or it doesn't help.

Also is it a good thing that Babee's reflex's are becoming stronger. Yes, every sign of recovery is a good thing and cause for celebration. I know that they will not make her walk, but they are getting so strong. For the first couple of weeks, she had no reflex what so ever, that we saw. Now when you even touch the bottom of her foot they curl and hard. Also her tail, while its not a wag is moving more from the reflex. Sometimes when she moves it goes straight up and slowly lowers itself in increments. Awhile back the vet and I thought she had a wag but it wasn't. I now figured it was from the vet holding the rear of her legs the way she did. When you touch the certain neve in the back leg her tail goes up. Her tail also curls to the one side (right) more often. Is that a bad thing?

I'd guess it means her nerves are working more efficiently on one side of the spine than the other, and the signal is getting to the muscles more on one side. It is common for one side to be better than the other with a spinal injury/recovery.

I tried to let her smell an old urine stain on one of the pee pads before expressing and her to check for bladder control and her tail goes up and she starts to urinate but again I don't think its her as much as it is me holding her belly to keep the weight off of her. Any ideas on where to better hold her would be greatly appreciated.

Well, really this sounds good the way it is. If you had my dog you would know what I mean. The first 5 months after her injury she was SO hard to express, it could take upwards of 20 minutes. I'll never forget one Sunday morning I was so tired but I got up on time to express her so she didn't wait more than 8 hours, planning to go back to sleep afterward, and it took 23 minutes to express her. So if your dog is emptying, I almost wouldn't mind whether it was because of the way you were holding her or because she did it herself. It would be wonderful if she was doing it herself, but if you are emptying her with this little trouble, I'd be happy. My dog never regained bladder control, but she did get to the place where she would use her control to assist with urination if I got her started, maybe your dog is doing this, I don't know.

So no real changes but we are still trying to be hopeful.

Recovery from spinal injury is often (or usually) by baby steps. You have listed some real progress here. With my dog, improvement was so slow it seemed like maybe, about once every 6 weeks, if I really stretched my imagination, I might convince myself we were seeing a little change. It took my dog 9 months to walk a distance of 4 feet on the sidewalk. When she finally did it, I still do not know who was more surprised, her or me. We had continued physical therapy every day faithfully even though I had long ago given up any hope that she would walk. We were still just doing it because it was quality time for us and it was good for her.

The first months are stressful. Hang in there. Better days are coming.

So anything you may be able to pass on to me I would appreciate it...Thanks so much...... Carmen
jazzybaby

Post by jazzybaby »

Good Evening, I agree with Carol it is never to late, I would give it a try it can't hurt her. We waited about 6 weeks before we started any type of therapy or treatment away from home, just because i did not want to move Jasmine and put her in a car for an hour and half each way. Just keep working with her each day will get a little better i know that there have been days were i thought my dog was not getting any better and i was just imagining any movement. I would think she was getting feeling and then a second would go by and i would think it was just a reflex. But it does getting better. As long as she is happy and healthy otherwise i would say you are doing a great job. Stacy
carmenlovesbabee

Thank you Stacey and Carole for the reply's.
Carole, when you speak of it taking 9months for your dog to walk 4ft., did she fully recover? Even so you've given me more hope. And your right, any movement is progress. I'm sorry to say but its comforting to know that expressing was difficult for you as well in the beginning, only because it stops me from being in the mindset of "I'm doing something wrong". I do have it down now but in the beginning was so difficult for us too and when I would read other's story I would think, "why am I not getting it". Tomorrow is her last steroid and it seems as soon as we started to wean her from them, it became alot easier with no leaking either. I am far from an expert but that was our experience. Carol I can not thank you enough for your guidance. Everytime you respond to my posts, I gain so much knowledge, or just feel better. And the latter is priceless, as you stated, the beginning is the toughest. But I do see it getting a lil' easier each day. So thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Stacey,
You always have a kind word...Thank you. Thank you for sharing your experience's they make me feel so not alone. I'm glad to see I wasn't going crazy for I too would say "hey did you see that" and the next minute "Oh, it was just a reflex"...lol....Nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks a bunch!! Carmen