Dolcezza Mia update

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
theservs

Dolcezza Mia update

Post by theservs »

Hello all,
I know it's been a long time and I've promised to share an update on Dolcezza Mia. I've decided I would get this together today. My purpose is to update those angels that walked through this with me, give hope to anyone who has recently gone through this or is going through this now and for anyone in the future who finds themselves faced with this. I'll give a brief history of her injury, a brief refresher of what we've gone through and lastly how our little one is doing today.
Dolcezza Mia's story would not be posted had it not been for the moderator's and countless people who literally carried me through this. I could't have gotten up everyday and did what I did or do what I do had it not been for you folks out there. So, for anyone who is being challenged today or in the future, this site will emotionally carry you through the journey.
Dolcezza Mia, our 4 lb Maltese/Bichon mix was struck by a falling tree branch while on a family vacation in Georgia at the age of 18 months old (May 11, 2008). She suffered a broken back at the sacral-caudal junction and a bladder rupture. She underwent two surgeries for her bladder, resulting in a permanent urethrostomy tube. She spent 19 days in Auburn University small animal critical care while we, her family, had to return home to Tampa without her. We prayed that she would do OK, or go peacefully.
She came home May 31st, 2008 and remained on crate rest for another 8 weeks (and I mean crate rest! Carol helped me understand the importance of true, restricted, crate rest! Thanks Carol!). I've attached a picture of her when we brought her home.
Our days were a never-ending cycle of cleaning and washing. She was incontinent of both bladder and bowel. It seemed the stool would just coninuously leak out and I, being a nurse, knew that we couldn't let E-Coli get in the uretherostomy tube or she would get an infection.
There were countless days and nights where I would look at her and ask her if she really wanted to keep fighting, wondered if I could maitain this pace, prayed she would show me a sign of her desires and posted and reposted to this board.
We found a true angel right here in Tampa Bay that sewed Dolcezza Mia special panties that collected the poop but kept it away from her uretherostomy tube and if not for her I don't know where I would be today. I owe it to her and she has since started doing this for others. If anyone needs panties that collect the poop, can be washed and reused, please look at her site: http://www.pouchpanties.com. Her name is Mellissa and she is a guardian angel to me and to Dolcezza Mia!
We consulted a neurologist, gave her laser treatment and she is now recieving acupunture with herbal medications.
I'm happy to report that when they say "give it time" it is so true. That "tincture of time" makes things better, tolerable, bearable and overwhelmingly worth it. In fact, I have a sign over her food bowl that reads "nobody said it would be easy...just worth it!" How true that is!

Dolcezza Mia now poops outside twice a day and has some partial control over her urine. In fact, Melissa is making her panties that are open in the back, but can still catch the urine. Again, I can't thank Melissa enough. She will forever be a part of our family and we love her so much for taking on our little girl and creating her quality of life! As they say "It takes a village.." and Dolcezza Mia has proven that.

Mike and I have set up the annual Dolcezza Mia Scholarship at Auburn University, whereby we (through the foundation) award one veteranarian student a scholarship for tuition each year. We will be going up in February to award the winning student their scholarship and will be proud to share Dolcezza Mia's story with the group. We are amazed at the outpouring of assistance here in Tampa Bay, our friends and family who have contributed to that scholarship, again, we are blessed to be able to tell her story and to help a vet student know how important they are to those of us who care and love for our disabled or injured pets.

I've also attached photos of Dolcezza Mia just last night playing with toys and of her and her sisters just a week ago for Fourth of July.
She has not had an infection, urine scald or any other illnesses. She is the love of our lives and we wanted to say thanks to everyone on the board. More importantly, to anyone faced with this situation; there is hope, there is a family here and there are guardian angels right there in your community.

On behalf of Dolcezza Mia and our entire family we thank you!

Judy and Dolcezza Mia!
Attachments
Dolcezza sleeping on first day home.jpg
July 11.2009 in open panties.jpg
All three girls.July 4.2009.JPG
Dianne

Re: Dolcezza Mia update

Post by Dianne »

Judy,

We are so touched that you would return to update us about Dolcezza Mia. She is so lovely with her sisters in their Fourth of July outfits!

Your story is heart wrenching to read, but the outcome is good because you cared. You found good vet care, gave her good home care, and loved her through all of this.

I'm especially happy to hear that you are sponsoring a scholarship at Auburn. That's really a wonderful gift to give a student. :angel: You should be able to correspond with your students and track them through their careers. In this area, they are required to write a thank you note yearly to the benefactor. Enjoy!

Happy to hear from you again.

Dianne
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

This is certainly one of the ones I will remember for the rest of my life. I didn't realize she was in the hospital for 19 days, though it did seem a long time. I can't believe she poops outside twice a day and has partial control of urine! That's incredible. I don't think anybody ever would have expected that. If you don't mind, I'd like to know about when she started being able to poop, because I have a dog with a lumbosacral injury. And do you think it was the acupuncture, or just time and healing? You can be sure Dolcezza's story will be shared with others who are in a similar situation. I love your saying, "Nobody said it would be easy...just worth it." Thanks for your help to me, as well! :)
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Just awesome!!!!
Thanks for the update.
Caroline
Christine

Post by Christine »

I loved reading this update!! It means so much to hear the happy endings and your family and she so deserved one. What a beautiful way to thank the university and to educate the upcoming vets as well. I hope you know that you are part of our family and we expect a visit now and then! And thanks for the pictures!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08