DVD on how to express your dog's bladder

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

DVD on how to express your dog's bladder

Post by CarolC »

http://www.scoutshouse.com/store/index. ... cts_id=192

Wish I could see it but I don't have a DVD player. It doesn't cost much.

EDIT TO ADD:
Video is viewable online at this link .
critters
Founding Member

Re: DVD on how to express your dog's bladder

Post by critters »

Can you play it on your computer? Most "newer" ones can.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I have a DVD writer, I assume that means it will play also, good idea. :smart:
OK I went ahead and ordered it, $15.09 after shipping. They don't have PayPal but their ordering software worked nicely. I will post a review after I view it, I've got to SEE this video.
:wow:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

If you have a DVD Writer, as far as I know you can play them. That's a lot for shipping!!! :shock:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:trophy:

I ordered it on Tuesday, it arrived on Thursday, it is excellent. It played in my DVD drive on my computer just fine.

It shows a 3-D diagram of the urinary tract so you can visualize what you will be doing. Then it demonstrates on 4 different dogs, and the close-ups are really close. They express a male standard dachshund standing up. Then they have a small dog (Lhasa Apso or similar) and they demonstrate expressing him lying on his side. Then they have a larger dog (Border Collie?) who can walk but does not empty and they demonstrate taking him for a walk and letting him start urinating, then show how to apply pressure to help him finish emptying. Then they have a German Shepherd who dribbles when excited (they did not say DM but he's being held up with a double harness) and again they showed how to help him empty by expressing him standing backward like I did with Merlin. The whole video is visually pleasing and friendly and contains tips about waiting a minute and expressing again, and medication, and how expressing is different with each dog. No video can actually teach you the feel of expressing, but this DVD is excellent for showing visually how it is done.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

No female? I felt that it was harder in a female.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Believe it was all boys. Maybe if it was harder in your female, that had more to do with the neurological status than the sex of the animal? The video mentions males are generally harder to express, and I've heard that elsewhere. But if you ask me, any animal with a loose sphincter/lower motor neuron injury will be easier to express than one with a tight sphincter/upper motor neuron injury. An example is Katie and Merlin. Merlin was much easier to express, however he had lumbar problems and was a dribbler, whereas Katie has an upper back injury and a tight sphincter to overcome.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I had much more trouble finding the bladder in my female.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't doubt you, interesting. :)
scoutshouse

Post by scoutshouse »

This is Lisa Stahr from Scout's House--we're the ones who created the video. Thank you, Carol, for your kind words about it. We really put a lot of work into covering all of the topic (as we did on our other video, How to Care for A Dog with Degenerative Myelopathy). And we tried to include a wide variety of dogs (we had to stick to dogs, by the way, since the Canine Health Foundation asked us to create the video), so the pets you see are both male and female (the Lhasa was a girl), large and small, and pets with disk ruptures and DM (ironically, the GSD was not DM--he had multiple disks rupture and was initially paralyzed, but he learned to walk again--but the Border Collie did have DM).
I have a male cat with rear limb paralysis who needs his bladder expressed 4 times a day, so I know how difficult it can be to do this correctly--and confidently. We often show our clients over and over again how to do it because it isn't particularly easy to learn and every animal is different. I'm considered a Jedi Master when comes to expressing cats, but sometimes even I have problems with a cat other than my own. After awhile, you figure out what works for you and your pet and you get comfortable with it, but it takes a long time!
And for those of you who can wait a bit, we are in the process of revamping our website and will have both of our videos viewable there (for free) once the "bigger and better" website is up and running.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: scoutshouse!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad to have the opportunity to say to you in person how much I liked the video. I took it to my dog's PT and gave it to the therapist for her to view. Like me she thought it might work to give to people post spinal surgery. It would be a dream to have it available online for free and immediate viewing. I hope you will let us know when you have it available. I did not even know the video existed until I found it while looking for something else. I don't know how long it has been available, I would have been referring people to it all along.

I started looking at your website just now to try to answer my question of whether you ship overseas (looks like you do), and got sidetracked looking at some of your other products. The Palace Bedding sounds like exactly what most of us have been looking for for dogs that wet the bed. Unfortunately, the dog I needed it for is gone now so I can't try it. Also the Barri-Care Anti-Infective Moisture barrier. I used Cavilon spray on my paralyzed rabbit, and various diaper creams on my dribble-dog, I wish I had known about the Barri-Care.

Thanks to you and your crew for making that video, it is wonderful.

:confetti:
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I just got the Palace bedding. I haven't really tried it yet as it is too warm for us this time of year, but I think it will be good when Merlin is less mobile and willing to stay in one place longer at night. It's stiff enough to stay put over a pee pad and looks like it would be pretty dry and comfy for him.
Bobbie Mayer