Phenoxybenzamine question

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
barley

Phenoxybenzamine question

Post by barley »

Hi - does anyone know how long it takes for phenoxybenzamine to leave a cat's system?

My cat was using it because of urine retention from a tail injury after getting hit by a car. He was manually expressed until he finally started to pee in the litter box on his own. Now that he can go in his box (a month and a half later) its great but he still leaks urine during his sleep and from licking/cleaning down there. I'm fairly sure the leaking is from the phenoxybenzamine because the vet said he had good bladder tone. After a few days of him peeing in the litterbox normally, I took him off the phenoxybenzamine. Now I'm wondering how long it will take for the drug to wear off from his system so he stops leaking. (He is not leaking because he is overflowing or anything).

Thank you for any advice... :)
CarolC

Re: Phenoxybenzamine question

Post by CarolC »

That's fantastic that he's using the box again. :yay: I don't know the answer on the medication but just wanted to say
:group:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: You might want to consider bethanechol for a leaker because it tends to strengthen the bladder. PBZ has been known to work GREAT for us for a spastic bladder.
barley

Post by barley »

Thanks Carol and Critters.

I just found out from a vet that it can take 1-2 weeks, but as long as up to a month for the phenoxybenzamine to wear off. So we are in the beginning of his 3rd week and still some leaking while sleeping.

About the Bethanacol - He was on it in the first 1 or 2 weeks after his accident but then the vet said he had a strong toned bladder so the vet said he could try coming off of it. But maybe it has become less toned over the 2 months, so maybe I will try it again and see what happens, thanks for the tip!