POSTING PROBLEMS

If you are having problems posting or do not understand how to use this board, please let us know here.
MissWhiskers

POSTING PROBLEMS

Post by MissWhiskers »

Hi,

There have been several occasions when a big long message I typed just vanishes. Is it possible that it can be found on your server? Forgive me as I do not know much about computers, but I know Aol can get back email messages that have been lost, similarly, and they are the ones that suggested that you might be able to retrieve a message "lost".
This last time I am referring to a very long private message I had composed, then submitted, and then I received a message that I was not logged in!? However, in the past when I would be posting as a result of having received a topic notification in my regular email - and clicking on that link - I did NOT have to log in!!?? Am I wrong about that?
It is incredibly frustrating to lose a long message I worked so hard on!!

Karen

this one was to Shawna/re: Sissy
CarolC

Re: POSTING PROBLEMS

Post by CarolC »

I am sorry when this happens. It has happened to me a number of times too, more in the past. There is no way to retrieve it from the server. Sometimes if you are really lucky, you can hit Back/Refresh and find what you were working on, but more often it's just gone. When I used to have such a problem with it (I had dial-up), I finally learned to take a copy of the message and paste it into Word before hitting Submit, but I only learned that after many many many lost messages. Even if you copy it into Word several times while you are working, whenever you think about it, you are assured of not losing everything. You may lose your most recent changes but you don't have to rewrite the whole thing, which seldom turns out as good as the original (or so it seems to me). Yes, it is the ones you work the hardest on and spend the most time on that are most often lost. The ones where you most want to help the person who most needs your help. It has something to do with sessions. The message board itself is set to allow a long session, I think it's 6 hours, going by memory. However, the individual user's Internet service may cause a session to be ended sooner and you don't realize it till you try to Submit something and see you are no longer logged in. I'm sorry, you probably have the sympathy of a lot of people here, I think many have experienced this time-wasting frustration of lost messages that actually interferes with the welfare of pets. I don't think there is anything the message board itself can do about it, you're safest to do a backup before submitting just in case.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I've usually found mine to disappear when I accidentally hit "preview" instead of "submit." If this is the case, it's just gone. :(
Christine

Post by Christine »

My suggestion would be to type in Word, first, then copy and paste it here. Unfortunately, you might not think about that until this has happened a few times.

And, by the way, thanks for spending so much time helping this week!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thank you all. Hopefully I AM to the point where I WILL remember to try saving it in WORD first!

Thanks,

Karen
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I just joined you in the Eaten Post club; in my case, I think the original poster posted at the same time, and the system didn't do the double-check bit (saying that there was another post and asking if my post should be added).
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Oh, it's the "Eaten Post" Club! That makes me feel a little more special! LOL
By the way, I do have dial up if you think that is a contributing factor?
Anyway, I am kind of remembering to copy & paste from Word...
Thanks,

Karen
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

nyummmi nyuummi nyuummmi posts
taste like chicken
burp
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Christine