Update on special kitty

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
ruth

Update on special kitty

Post by ruth »

Thanks to all your great sharing of info, I made some cloth pants to hold a pad and then put on an altered preemie onesie which the kitten had off in less than an hour since it is so playful and active. Sad to report that I have discovered it is actually pooping out the genital area instead of the anus. Has anyone heard of this?? This does not sound good to me. The kitten is so precious but I do not like the looks of this: I was giving the kitten time to hopefully gain control of its bowels because it is walking better and better every day but now I am not sure if that is even an option. I am just being honest in saying that spending megadollars at the vet is not an option for me. Very sad about this...
critters
Founding Member

Re: Update on special kitty

Post by critters »

I would say it's time to head to the dr. Sure it's possible the baby is rearranged inside, but maybe it only looks that way. While I'd take any dire predictions with a grain of salt, an xray shouldn't be too expensive and might yield a lot of info to go on. You've done a lot to try to save this baby, and you both deserve some answers.

Good luck!
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

that's a tough one

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I think a trip to the vet is mandatory here to figure out what is going on with this little one.
At the very least the vet might be able to manually express some poop so you can see exactly where it is coming out.
An xray at my vet costs $70, but it answers a LOT of questions.
You can't really know what your options are until you know what is going on with the kitten, except for the final option.
We've raised funds for the kitties here by selling things on ebay, flea markets, & yard sales. Maybe you could come up with an idea to raise some money for your kitten that way?

Does your vet let you make payments? You've given a lot of thought to this kitten, I'd hope the vet would appreciate that and work with you.

many purrrrs for both of you

bendy kitty
CarolC

Possible search terms

Post by CarolC »

Anorectal fistula
Rectovaginal fistula

Link below describes it in humans. It *is* correctable by surgery.

click here to see Merck entry for humans
critters
Founding Member

ps

Post by critters »

If surgery or the like is necessary, maybe imom.org can help.
CarolC

Vet bills and rescues

Post by CarolC »

A lady I work with was married to a vet for 30 years, and she says *always* be sure to tell the vet when you're working with a rescued animal because they're often willing to adjust their prices to help you out.
CarolC

Direct link

Post by CarolC »

It sounds like you have time to apply for free money, since the kitten is so healthy and active. :) Best wishes to you and the little kitten.

click here for financial assistance with vet bills