Leg Shaking?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
riley'smom

Leg Shaking?

Post by riley'smom »

Can anyone tell me their experience with an FCE dog and a leg shaking when raised or pulled forward? Riley had his FCE just over three weeks ago, and he has one back leg that shakes pretty visably more times than not. I guess we are trying to determine if this is something to get excited about or not. Our vets don't seem to get over enthused like we do when he jerks his leg back if we pinch him hard. One vet said that he wants Riley to be looking back and/or lunging at him when he pinches him. He doesn't do that, but he does move his foot or tail towards his body when provoked. The leg shaking is new the past few days. He doesn't try to put weight on it or use it, there is only shaking when moved. It also seems like he is beginning to tell when he needs to have a bowel movement. He has consistently moved off his bed to defecate this past week, which again leads me to believe that something positive is happening. I just need a reality check as I think that since we are looking for any sign of improvement with Riley that we may be putting too much emphasis on things that are either coincidental or normal in a paralyzed dog.

:thankyou:
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Leg Shaking?

Post by Bobbie »

Involuntary shaking and other movements are fairly common in paralyzed dogs (and humans.) Candy kicks or quivers most of the time, especially if he is excited or needs to pee or is tired.

On the other hand, while it may not signify recovery, movement helps circulation and helps keep up muscle tone, so its not a bad thing.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
riley'smom

Post by riley'smom »

Thanks Bobbie,

I appreciate the honesty. I think it is easy to get overly optimistic over every little change and we are trying very hard to keep a level head about everything. I can tell my husband is getting depressed over this now, so I am just trying to keep the vibe positive for all of us--- but I don't want to get our hopes up too much. It is such a fine line between keeping a positive attitude and fooling ourselves into thinking improvement is happening when it is not. In any event, as long as I can still truthfully call this dog "my smiley-riley" he isn't goin anywhere!
kristengara

Post by kristengara »

Hi Riley's mom, how is Riley? Our dog bay just got injured a week ago with FCE...we are taking him to a rehab center on monday, but don't know what we can afford. How are you guys doing?