Videos of expressing cats needed

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Videos of expressing cats needed

Post by CarolC »

I have been all over Youtube finding videos from different countries showing how to express the bladder, to include in this article
http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat
which is translated into 10 other languages to help people around the world care for paralyzed pets.
I found a lot more videos about dogs than cats. I found a couple on cats I had to reject, if you want to know which ones and why, PM me.

What I would like to ask is,
IF THERE IS ANYBODY HERE WHO EXPRESSES A CAT COULD YOU PLEASE PUT IT ON VIDEO, ANY LENGTH OF VIDEO, ANY QUALITY, ANY LIGHTING, ANY SETTING, SOUND OR NO SOUND, CAPTIONS OR NO CAPTIONS, 20 SECONDS OR 10 MINUTES, JUST SO PEOPLE CAN SEE HOW YOU EXPRESS YOUR PARTICULAR CAT. A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE KNOW HOW TO EXPRESS, AND EACH PERSON HAS THEIR OWN VARIATION. USE YOUR CELL PHONE, YOUR DIGITAL CAMERA, OR THE CAMERA ON YOUR LAPTOP, IT DOESN'T MATTER. THERE ARE SO FEW VIDEOS OF EXPRESSING CATS ON THE INTERNET, ANYTHING YOU MAKE IS GOING TO HELP A LOT OF PEOPLE!

IF YOU DO, PLEASE POST THE LINK AND I WILL ADD IT TO THE ARTICLE AND PEOPLE FROM NEW YORK TO HONG KONG WILL USE IT TO HELP THEIR PETS.

:thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Videos of expressing cats needed

Post by critters »

OH! Never thought about the camera in my laptop; my still camera doesn't seem to take videos I can see, although it seems to think it has taken a video.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Still need this...bladder, or bladder and bowel would be even better. :D
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, I just sent a message through youtube to the lady who made this video to see she will make one on emptying the bowel. Christine, she is German, I used Google to translate, but if a German translator is needed for emailing her, would be you be available? :)

Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Just saw this post and will try in a couple of days to produce a little video. :)
Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do.
http://eagles-sparrow.com
Christine

Post by Christine »

Wow, Carol....I remember watching this video, but I did not see you asking if I might be of help with the German! To my utmost regret, I never learned enough German to help in any way. My mom purposely made sure we all became Americanized and did not teach us any German. I took it in highschool and barely squeaked by with a C. So three months later, I answer your queston!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Ouch! I watched all the videos at the end of the Wiki article on expressing a cat and one of them, where the fellow is expressing the bowels with the cat crying, almost broke my heart. The bowels are delicate and I don't care how "experienced" the fellow in the video is, he has to be hurting the cat and possible tearing the cat's intestines in the process.

I remember my vet in Bulgaria showing me how to GENTLY slide thumb and forefinger down the intestines and massaging the anus with a bit of water or Vaseline to stimulate deification. The bladder is one thing, but expressing the bowels is an entirely different ball game and can not be done rough-house.

Have a friend coming over tomorrow and will hopefully get a video posted. Can't run the camera and do the job at the same time.

By the way, Carol, I have a German friend if you need something translated. Send me a link if still needed.
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Well, I did the best I could do (this is my very first video!), but hope it helps a little. If anyone has suggestions how to improve these, please let me know. We had to do it in 2 parts, because Regina accidentally stopped the camera. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVdJI-qsOus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIFTKuR9-uc
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

purrfect.gif
I love them! The graphic says it all, they're perfect!!! Do you have any idea how many times these videos are going to be watched?! You're going to have fun watching the view count go up and up on Youtube, it won't just be people here. That is a REALLY excellent set-up you've got, I never would have thought of the box with the little notch. I like the way he is in a natural position, exactly as you point out, I bet he likes that, too. Thankyouthankyouthankyou. These are a huge contribution to the paralyzed cat care community, they are going to help a ***LOT*** of people. I will add these links to the wiki pages on expressing and bowel management. Actually, it is a happy accident that the camera turned off when it did, as you got all the bladder care on one, and demonstrated expressing the bowel on the other. These links will be included in articles in English and 10 other languages. I will also post them on the German board for folks to see there. Thank you again, this is so great. And thank you one more time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Thank you, Carol! I'm blushing! :blush:

I do hope it helps others. I'm a neat freak and that's how the idea of the box set-up came into existence. :D

Once he's in the box, all I have to say is, "Upsy Daisy!" and he gets into position. He very rarely complains and if he gives the slightest cry, I immediately stop and give him a little break.

You're quite welcome. :wub:
Leah and Sasha
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The links are all added to the expressing and bowel care articles in English plus 10 other languages. I also sent a PM to Debbie who runs Kat's Club (big handicapped pets board) in Europe and an email to the German handicats board. Thank you again, these videos are just perfect. By the way, are you left handed? I just wondered, I think I would have to turn him the other way. :D
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

You're # :trophy: , Carol!

No, I'm right handed, but now you have me thinking! I don't think I could even do it the other way round! In college, I took a waitress position at a high-end restaurant where we had to carry big silver trays and I often wondered why I always seemed to bump the swinging doors coming out of the kitchen with the tray, when all the other servers cleared them by a mile. Turned out, the fellow who originally trained me was left-handed and I just copied everything he did, including carrying the tray with my right hand and serving with my left. Til this day, if I ever carry a tray, it's with the right hand. Maybe it's a residual effect from back then! :P

Also, Sasha favours that side. When I turn him the other way to groom him, he gets antsy. Going to try it tomorrow for the fun of it! :smart:

Leah
Christine

Post by Christine »

Great job ....and this from someone who has never had to do this. What a wonderful addition to the learning archive created here! Sasha is just adorable and such a good kitty.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Hi Christine,

Sahsa is a perfect gentleman!

Found another interesting video for expressing a cat.
I especially like the the part when the vet explains the positioning of the hand with the wad of cotton as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9p5j9eX ... re=related
Odie's Mom

Post by Odie's Mom »

Thank you so much for all the information. Carol, this place is a treasure island for me though I'm still struggling with everything to care for my little girl albeit extremely useful information.
Odie still fights when I try to express her. By the way, her spinal cord in the lumber area was fractured in the fall 4 days ago. The vet asked to let her rest for a week but she is already scooting around, heading straight to the balcony area! (She's due to visit the vet in two days.) Is it already safe to let her move around and to express her?

Thanks so much.