Why won't the cats walk on the carpets now?

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Les

Why won't the cats walk on the carpets now?

Post by Les »

Hi all I guess I need help again lol...we have been dealing with fleas again the last few months, so Deb bought a spray by Vet's Best which is very strong peppermint and clove and sprayed it here and there on the rugs. Shortly afterwards, we noticed the cats would only walk on the carpets when they had to, otherwise they were up high on tables, chairs, windows, etc. She didn't spray it everywhere but they avoid it. We vacuum constantly, and really don't see a lot of fleas but I guess they are there as the cats still have them on them when we comb them out. We "conquered" fleas last time by vacuuming, combing and sprinkling sea salt and baking soda on the rugs and vacumming it up so we did that they other day but the cats still are avoiding the rugs-any ideas why and what we can do about it?

Thanks in advance-I hope all are well....
Christine

Re: Why won't the cats walk on the carpets now?

Post by Christine »

Hi Les and Family!

I understand that clove oil is a deterrent to cats because they don't like the smell of it - strange that they would use it in something directed at cats. I sounds to me like there is enough of the clove smell to them that they are avoiding it. Are the rugs washable?

Even though Vet Pets says that this product is safe, some essential oils are toxic to cats so you might want to check that out.

Thank goodness cooler weather is coming and the fleas should diminish on their own.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

We have almost no carpet now, but I like to use a drop of Adv or Frontline on each monster every week to keep the vermin at bay.
JenniferMcLaughlin

Post by JenniferMcLaughlin »

Some material; of carpets are very stiff and they also smell a little different due to chemical agents added to it for different colors so it irritates cats.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Could your baby have had something scare her while she was on the floor, so that she became fearful?