Scruff a cat with a clip

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
FYI

Scruff a cat with a clip

Post by FYI »

critters
Founding Member

Re: Scruff a cat with a clip

Post by critters »

Oooo--what a neat idea! The 'nection here is too slow to watch it; does it work??
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, he just lies there immobile. When they take it off, he gets up. It reminds me of the clothespin trick, but it looks easier with just one wide clip instead of a bunch of clothespins.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

How do I get the link for that??
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeAK5CAij2A
On my computer you can get it by right clicking on the video itself, but it may depend on what browser you're using.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Thanks! I'll try that next time.
FYI

Clipnosis

Post by FYI »

http://www.animal-care.com/product/clipnosis/
The Clipnosis® Gentle Calming Clip™ has a calming response similar to when a mother cat picks up her kitten (scruffing). It will help to minimize stress and anxiety associated with routine care and minor procedures. Veterinarians and other pet professionals sometimes use this response to their advantage when they grasp the skin on the back of a cat’s neck with their hands, producing the same response seen when mother cats grasp kittens. Clipnosis® provides a safe and effective alternative to scruffing and harsh restraint methods, and allows the handler to have both hands free for grooming or healthcare tasks.

Warning: Do not leave clips attached to the cat for extended periods of time or leave the cat unattended when clips are in use. It is not recommended to apply the clips to an angry or agitated cat, always use caution when handling cats.

https://youtu.be/d5zuNK2uXb0
Clipnosis-Tin.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. That's an interesting idea for grooming, but I don't know that I'd trust it. :mrgreen:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I was trying to see what kind of clips are used and I found this veterinary study that used binder clips. I guess that's the same as in the first video. I need to see if I can get some. I've been using 5 large clothespins because that's what I have. They want to all lean over to one side or the other because they are too long, but they work in a pinch (ha!). :wink:
https://vet.osu.edu/about-us/news/clipnosis-technique-can-calm-cats-vets-office-and-home wrote: The researchers used one or two standard two-inch binder clips in the study and conducted a test to ensure the pressure of the clips would not damage the cats' skin or interfere with blood flow.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Got a 2" binder clip to try. Not as good as the clothespins. Clothespins work better.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yesterday I was looking at a little FB video (reel) where these guys filmed a little study on scruffing a cat with their teeth, and it worked great. I wouldn't do it that way, but it worked. I'll post if it shows up again...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It worked? :shock: I think you'd have to be desperate...!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yup, it worked great!