Dogs: Carol C

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Sheri

Dogs: Carol C

Post by Sheri »

I just saw your posting from last week. What exercising are you doing for her front legs and why. Any special exercises or tips tou can pass on to Pete. I think it is great the progress you have made. I now know that it is not a quick fix. When started almost 3 months ago thought 2 or 3 months and Pete would walk. Sometimes think we are loosing ground then Pete does something new. Pete does not seem to have the control in his left leg that he had a couple of weeks ago. We live in Ontario Canada and or pool is now closed for the winter. I have not been able to find any rehab centres around. The are no therapy pools or tread mills so we have to rely on the old fashioned exercises now. I would love any suggestions.
Sheri

Re: Dogs: Carol C

Post by Sheri »

Just read my own message. Sorry about the errors. Pete was on my knee helping.
CarolC

Therapy Center in Canada

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sherri,

Found this on the Rehab links of the HandicappedPets homepage:

ON - Ontario
Horse-Ease and Dog-Ease Rehabilitation Services - Kathy Broughton, Registered Physiotherapist. 457 Brennan Ave. Ottawa, Ontario K1Z 6J9 ph: (613) 729-5940 fax: (613) 729-0859. email: katherinebroughton@rogers.com

Will write later tonight. On the evening shift today.

C.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Don't apologize. I'm sorry I just spelled your name wrong, and I did that without any help! :)
CarolC

Another rehab facility in Ontario *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sheri,

Found this throught the ACSMA website. It's in Caledonia, Ontario. Click the link below to see their website. When you click on their website's CONTACT US link, it gives you an email form to write a message to them.

PetRehabServices in Ontario
CarolC

Re: Therapy Center in Canada *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

The info I just gave you from the HP website says therapist Kathy Broughton works at the Horse-Ease and Dog-Ease Clinic. However, the information on David Levine's homepage says she works at the Alta Vista Animal Hospital, also in Ontario. I do not know which one is right or which one is outdated information. Therefore, if you do not find her at the Horse-Ease and Dog-Ease Clinic I just listed, try her at the Alta Vista Animal Hospital. Click on the link below and scroll all the way to the bottom to get the address/phone for the Alta Vista Animal Hospital.

David Levine's Home Page - Therapists listing
CarolC

Pools for dogs in Ontario *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sheri,

You said your pool closed for the winter. If you click the link below, the click on CANADA, it lists several pools for dogs. Maybe one of them will be an indoor pool.

CLICK HERE - hydrotherapy for dogs in Ontario
CarolC

Candian Horse and Animal Physical Therapy Assn *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sheri,

The Canadian Horse and Animal Physical Therapy Association has a website with a CONTACT US page. They seem to be involved in training animal physical therapists. One of their contacts is in Toronto. Maybe they will be able to tell you of any animal rehabilitation clinics in the area that you might not know about, or a vet that has a special interest in animal PT.

CLICK HERE - Canadian Horse and Animal PT Assn
CarolC

Indoor pool *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

If you click the link below, it shows a dog rehab pool that is indoors and climate controlled in Ontario.

CLICK HERE - Indoor therapy pool for dogs
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sheri,

I've had the exact same experience, looking at my dog one day and having it seem like she's not doing as well as she was, and then like you say, she goes and does something even better than before, and you smile and breathe a big sigh of relief. I've also noticed the business of one leg being stronger than the other, and when I commented on it to my dog's physical therapist she said, yes, often one leg is stronger, but then suddenly it can change so the other leg is dominant, and you don't know why. So if right now you think he's better on a certain leg, it may not stay that way and he may become better on the other one. :)

When I said front feet exercise, I think all I meant was scarf walking, same as you're doing with Pete with his sling. We do 30 minutes in one session and 10 minutes on my lunch break. The reason is for total conditioning, and to keep her weight down, and most of all (in my view) for her sanity. Chihuahuas are an active breed, and she really needs to get out and smell things and run, and feel like a regular dog.

I read your short, clear messages going back to June, and I really liked the one where you said you weren't sure if all the exercise was helping Pete, but he sure was happier. I feel that way about my dog. Even if a 30-minute scarf walk didn't contribute to her total recovery, it makes her happy and that's enough of a reason.

I want you to know that my dog can't stand for 5 minutes, and she never chewed her toes as if they were tingling, and I suspect Pete has more physical ability right now than my dog does. I think he just doesn't realize that walking is within reach for him because he was unable to for so long. It's called "learned non-use". They learn they can't use their legs, so even when they get their ability back they never use it.

Our big breakthrough outdoors came one day when we'd been out for a walk and I set her down on a gently sloping sidewalk. When she took a step forward she discovered the slope made it easy for her to take that next step. She went about 4 feet and sat, then did another 4 feet that day. If you can find a gently sloping sidewalk, I would try it. After that we began doing it often and I told her therapist about it, and after a therapy session we took her outside to a sloping sidewalk and the therapist saw how well she could do going downhill. We developed a routine where I would set her down at the top of the slope and the therapist would wait at the bottom with a treat, and she'd walk (run!) down to get her treat. We'd do that repeatedly till all the treats were going. (We broke them into tiny pieces.) A couple of sessions later when they gave me her daily therapy report, I had to smile when it said she had done "Incline therapy". Oh, so that's what we'd been doing! :)

About the crossing, I have decided the answer to that is, Let 'Em Cross. My dog gets crossed up every day trying to walk. Sometimes it makes her drag instead of walk. Then we fix it and keep going. When she's walking, she does dozens of almost-crosses every time. I see no problem with letting her do a little Foxtrot/Charleston dance step and wobble and sway as she goes from Point A to Point B, just as long as she gets there. Let her cross, I don't care! It doesn't seem to bother her. I think with time it will get better.

Yesterday she wanted to chase a yellow lab someone else was walking, and she went about 85 feet without getting crossed up. It's like she's become aware of the problem. She was actually putting her feet down rather wide apart--it was very cute and effective.

My dog's therapist says you can help the dog keep on his feet while walking by hold his tail. It bothered me to be holding my dog's hind end up by grabbing onto her tail, but it doesn't bother her, and she can go-go-go. Sometimes when she's a little more wobbly than ususal, I will do that. I hate to think what strangers might think if they saw me doing it. They might think I was being mean to her.

I hope some of these idea help. If you can get him to take one step, he can take two, and if he can take two, he can go a yard, and pretty soon he'll be going. I'm excited to hear how he does.
Sheri

Post by Sheri »

Carol you are wonderful and a wealth of information. Thank you for all your help. Pete and I will just keep on trucking.
CarolC

You bet! *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Just came across one more possibility for finding rehab in your area (even tho you've already called around and looked plenty). When I reposted Critters' splint info, I realized this one splint maker is in Ontanrio, and if anybody would know of animal rehab facilities in the province, they would, right? If you click the link below, there's an 800 number you can call.

Also, I am going to use an idea Bendy gave earlier. Bendy was saying why not put Milk Bones around the house to encourage walking? Well, I'm going to take little bits of treats with us when we walk outdoors, and I'm going to show her how I put them on the sidewalk spaced apart, then I'm going to set her down and see if she'll go from treat to treat. I think it's gonna work. Her favorite thing is to find bits of food outside (well, second only to chasing other dogs 10 times her size!).

CLICK HERE - splint maker in Ontario may have info
critters
Founding Member

LOL

Post by critters »

Feisty little bugger, huh?!!
CarolC

Yeah, and it kinda worries me! - (another long answer)

Post by CarolC »

The other day she took off after a yellow lab, but fortunately it had a big head start. Then Thursday the police were in our neighborhood again (they need to build a substation here) while I was walking her. They had a GSD police dog that was basically hauling the woman handler along after it on the way back to the van. I set my dog down by a sign post thinking she'd like to sniff where the police dog had been. Not so! She assumed a perfect stance like she'd been set up for show, her ears went forward, and I just caught her before she charged off the curb to go GET THAT DOG AND SHOW HIM A THING OR TWO! You never saw such focus and intensity. So that's two this week. I guess it's time to get her a collar, and I hesitate because she's just beginning to walk and the last thing I want to do is pull on a leash and make her lose her balance. But that's not true, because the very last thing I want to do is let her be taken apart by another dog. She already has a row of suture marks across her shoulders which the back surgeon thought might be from being shaken by a big dog in the past. At this point I can't be certain she didn't do something to provoke that attack (a serious thought). I think on Murphy's website is an address to contact Murphy's dad. I want to ask him how he knew when to start using a collar and leash.

On the happier side, Sept. 23rd was our one-year anniversary of the day I found her. At Hallmark they had little silver heart-shaped charms for $2.98, and I got her one with her name on it. It will be perfect for her collar when I get one. Note to self: go look at collars. :(