Paralyzed ferret

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
mandi

Paralyzed ferret

Post by mandi »

Hi...
I have a 6/7 year old ferret, Penny, who has suddenly lost use of her back legs. She hasn't been to the vet yet, but I've been in contact with him and I'm going to bring her on Monday.
I don't want to put her to sleep if I don't have to. I have no experience in caring for paralyzed animals though.
She has no control over her bladder or bowels so I've been cleaning her and expressing her bladder every few hours. She has very loose poo at the moment, so that's an issue with cleaning. I would just wipe her with wipes, but it just makes a mess. I'm thinking of getting/making diapers so it'll at least be contained instead of her dragging it all around.
Does anyone here have any experienced with paralyzed ferrets/other smaller animals?
Any tips? I'm kind of clueless here
critters
Founding Member

Re: Paralyzed ferret

Post by critters »

:slant: Hmm. CarolC had a wonky bun, but I don't see any reason why you can't try just adapting some of the techniques we use for other critters, such a diapering. With handicappers "flying your own plane" is SOP! LOL Somewhere I've seen a ferret on wheels. I'm not sure if it's at HP or where...

PS--Butt baths are your friend! They, too, are SOP with handicappers.