pekin duck bent leg

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
lemoncoconut

pekin duck bent leg

Post by lemoncoconut »

the past week my pekin duck has been limping and isn't able to walk. it can only hop around on its right leg while it lifts its leg leg up. i have been feeding it brewer's yeast ever since i got him. recently as i was observing his bent leg the his femur bone seems to have curved. it's not splay legs or bow legged. is it possible to wrap his leg with vet wrap for extra support?
critters
Founding Member

Re: pekin duck bent leg

Post by critters »

:slant: Hmm. I wonder if the baby's getting enough minerals and stuff, like calcium? I'd be super careful about wraps because it's SO easy to cut off the circulation if they're too tight.
lemoncoconut

Post by lemoncoconut »

he's almost 4 months and yes he does get minerals I make sure to give him water with Sav a chick electrolytes and probiotics
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You might want to look around this board at the other bird posts, and it appears that quite a few Pekins have similar things happen. I know people have even built wheelchairs for them, which might be useful if weight is what's bending your baby's leg--at least until you find out the true cause and fix it. The bad thing about ducks and other "farm" animals, in my experience, is that vets don't really know what to do because such critters with disabilities haven't been saved, historically. It's not all that easy even with cats and dogs, but farm birds probably need even more creative thinking.
lemoncoconut

Post by lemoncoconut »

I have been wanting to take my poor baby to the vet and i agree most vets don't have the knowledge about farm animals. the only thing I've only been able to find are vet wraps.