Cat with knuckling hind foot

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
chibibenz

Cat with knuckling hind foot

Post by chibibenz »

Hello,

My foster kitty was found as a stray in February with a broken pelvis, likely due to being hit by a car. In early April she was cleared from crate rest with the pelvis bone healed. Unfortunately the break appears to have severed the nerve connection to her rear paw. I'm not very good with the correct medical terminology but it is a neurological problem where she doesn't respond to any stimuli of her paw. Her leg and hock joint are ok and can move normally, but she knuckles when she walks pretty much 100% of the time and doesn't know she is doing so because she can't feel her foot.

I'm wondering what long term solutions there are. The vet seemed to think amputation was the only option. We had a soft bootie for her as well as the no knuckling training sock, but neither can be worn full time (the bootie cuts off circulation to the paw and it gets all swollen, and the training sock is meant for short walks only) and during the periods when these devices are off she is walking on the paw and developing sores. The top of her paw has lost all fur and is swollen and red. It just doesn't seem like a feasible long-term situation. Meanwhile she is happy as a clam because she can't feel her foot so she doesn't know it's injured - she loves to sprint around the house on it which makes me absolutely cringe.

So what can I do? Should I keep applying the no knuckling sock as frequently as I can and hope the sores on top of her foot don't get worse? Is there any kind of permanent foot gear that she can wear all the time?

Thanks for your help.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cat with knuckling hind foot

Post by critters »

:whale: Oh yeah, been there done that!! You ABSOLUTELY want to do something BEFORE skin breakdown and permanent contractures set in. We've never used the no-knuckle, and we didn't have much luck with shoes because, like you say, they're very little protection and no prevention of contractures. Personally, I really like http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-rear-splint . I would also say that it's too soon to say whether the nerve is torn or just bruised or otherwise damaged. My Tristalyn was hit by a car and had radial nerve (arm) damage, but I wouldn't let them amputate. Months later she still had her arm, and it was totally normal! My Koi boy knuckled from being shot in the spine, and he was the one with contractures, so we've been there, done it all, including custom shoes and splints!
chibibenz

Post by chibibenz »

Thank you! How do I decide between the walkin rear splint and walking bootie splint?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Well, I don't know. I've never personally had my paws on the bootie splint, which is shorter. If she's ONLY knuckling and not hock walking or otherwise showing signs of neuro problems higher up, you might get away with it.