Eros the Husky-Both back paws amputated

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
huskymom

Eros the Husky-Both back paws amputated

Post by huskymom »

Hi everyone. We are fosterng a 15 month Husky who had to have both back paws amputated in December. We are in the healing process and have reached the point where the unhealed area is no longer shrinking. Vet says that the tissue is granulated and looks very healthy. He gets dressing changes every other day. It has been suggested that we do a pad transfer from his front paws to his back remaining limbs or at least try debreadment to anger the unhealed area and hope that it will at least close further. This poor dog has been dealing with this for almost 6 months plus what he went thru to cause it to happen. Has anyone else dealt with a paw amputation and what was the treatment process? Plan is for prosthetics but he has to heal first....

He LOVES his Wheelchair!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Eros the Husky-Both back paws amputated

Post by critters »

Oh, good, so he has a cart! Prosthetics can be problematic, so he may need to use a cart at times, even if he has prosthetics--just like with humans. My tripods have never done prosthetics or fancy stuff, so I don't know. We HAVE done orthotics, though, and I suggest trying to get the prosthetics done locally if you can. It makes life a lot easier when you can take them in for meetings, fittings, etc. If you have to, you can do stuff through the mail, but local is preferable.
CarolC

Re: Eros the Husky-Both back paws amputated

Post by CarolC »

I don't know the answer to this, but I would suggest talking to OrthoPets now to see if they can come up with something temporary that might protect his legs better or help him heal. Maybe they could come up with something with a gel insert? Don't know but it doesn't hurt to ask and I'll bet they've had this question before.

http://www.orthopets.com/

This reminded me of Nakio. The prosthetics expert shown in the video is Martin Kauffman of OrthoPets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZVII2Jna3c