deer with contracted and crippled back leg

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
bibiji

deer with contracted and crippled back leg

Post by bibiji »

We have a sheltered deer who is about 10 years old. We call her Bambi. About 2 years ago we noticed she had a hard large swelling and limited mobility of her right rear knee (?) joint. That leg is now contracted at a 90 degree angle at the knee - the foot does not drag on the ground, it does not touch the ground at all. She has been able to get around pretty well on 3 legs until recently, but now she is having trouble with moving about, especially in the heat when the exertion takes a toll on her. She still enjoys life and socializes with the other four deer and eats well. Her three good legs are starting to wobble from the stress of holding her up. We want to think creatively about how we can help support her three good legs and maybe rig up or find on the market 1) a sling for the dysfunctional leg so that it does not drag her down and 2) braces or splints or something to give her good legs more support and strength. Can you give us some suggestions on how to maximize her mobility? We have a couple of guys who are really good at making devices and also would be open to purchasing something ready made within a reasonable price range. I have seen boots and splints etc for dogs for sale on this website and that has given me hope that we can improve her situation with your help. She is small, weight approximately 80 pound. Smaller than a miniature horse. My photos are too big to upload here.
CarolC

Re: deer with contracted and crippled back leg

Post by CarolC »

Here is a good website for reducing photos
http://www.online-image-editor.com/

Dogleggs makes a sling for the back leg like you describe, it's called an Ehmer sling.
http://www.dogleggs.com/vest-with-ehmer-sling/

I have not actually tried the wraps but I think they'd be worth trying. Is she on any kind of anti-inflammatory? I am not sure what is appropriate for deer but medication can be a big help for dogs.

The description of wobbling in the 3 good legs and being heat-related sounds kind of like a general health issue, not specific to being 3-legged, but I don't know. Has the vet checked her heart and general health?

:banner:
bibiji

Post by bibiji »

Thank you so much for your thoughts, advice and the links! The price of the sling is so high... But I think we can make something using this as a model. Our vet has recommended some anti inflammatory medicine and I am sure it will help. Agree she likely has cardiac issues due to her age.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here is another view of the same thing. It is the graphic that used to be on their website, in some ways it is clearer.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16989&p=89022&hilit=ehmer#p89022
bibiji

Post by bibiji »

Thanks again. I also have found some videos demonstrating how to make a sling from Elastoplast wrap... we now have a definite idea of what is needed. Will send a photo soon.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

If it's contracted into a useless position, why not amputate? If the limb isn't contracted, a splint might hold it in the position of function, but I fully expect that a custom splint would be necessary. I'm NO deer expert, though, so maybe a dog splint would work. For a custom splint, I would call local orthotic and prosthetic companies to see if they might be willing to help. It's loads easier to deal with fittings with a local company, but mail order (there are companies that specialize in orthotics and prosthetics for critters) is a possibility if local companies won't help.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi there,

How did you make out with your deer? You could use some Vet Wrap (available at any livestock co-op). I would imagine amputation would not be ideal as a) it would be a field surgery, I would imagine, and b) she has heart issues. Sounds like you have a good vet.